Employment Law AttorneysTallahassee Employment Defense Lawyers
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
The Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 (FMLA) provides an entitlement of up to 12 weeks of job-protected, unpaid leave during any 12-month period to eligible, covered employees for the following reasons:
1) birth and care of the eligible employee’s child, or placement for adoption or foster care of a child with the employee
2) care of an immediate family member (spouse, child, parent) who has a serious health condition
3) care of the employee’s own serious health condition
To be eligible for FMLA leave you must:
- Work at a work site within 75 miles of employee
- Have worked at least a total of 12 months for the employee
- Have worked at least 1,250 hours during the 12 months immediately before the date FMLA leave begins
The FMLA requires employers to restore employees who return from FMLA leave to the same or equivalent position with pay, benefits and responsibilities similar to the level that existed when leave began.
If you feel you are having an issue with your employer regarding your FMLA rights contact our office for a consulation.